Friday, February 13, 2009

Lucky 13?

My son was born 28 years ago today. It was also a Friday. I said then that Friday the 13th was my lucky day. Our relationship is strained, to put it mildly. I have taken him to rehab twice, visited him in jail countless times, had him arrested once, filed for custody of and adopted his child. Although this was all painful I have absolutely no doubt that I've done the right things.
I love my son very much but there are times when I don't like him at all. I want to be proud of him but he makes it pretty tough. There is hope, however. I, too, was troubled and in trouble in my younger days. My poor choices made life difficult, to say the least. When I was sick and tired of being sick and tired I started making better decisions. It took a long time but my life got better, much better. With time and effort he can do the same.

Happy birthday, Mark. I'll continue to love and pray for you.

P.S. I also met his mother on a Friday the 13th. That turned out not so lucky, but that's a whole other story.

5 comments:

  1. I think if I were you, Friday the 13th would be a day I would lock myself in the house and stay in bed.

    Seriously though, You are proof that people can change. Hopefully Mark can find it in himself to want to change. And when that day comes, he will see you as his inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eventually, with God's help, he will see that silver lining behind all of the clouds and know what to do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The reality is that he could have the same problems and not have a father who is an expert on the same behavior. You are better equipped than many to know what the next right thing is in your relationship with him and your job as his parent. Some day he will have a new date for his "birthday".

    ReplyDelete
  4. as a wise man once said " I am so proud of that Mark, I just feel like I want to hug him"

    And you continue to show us all the reasons why.

    Happy Valentines Day.

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mark - you made me cry. I hope you know what a good dad you are. I'm proud to have you as part of my family.

    ReplyDelete