Monday, February 2, 2009

The day the music died

It's been 50 years since three early rock'n'roll stars were killed in a plane crash near Lake Clear, Iowa. Buddy Holly, Richie Valens, and J.P. Richardson(The Big Bopper), were on their way to a show in Moorehead MN when they crashed just after take off. The pilot, Roger Peterson, also died.

These three musicians were pioneers of modern music. Peggy Sue, LaBomba, Chantilly Lace... all masterpieces of early rock and roll, helped spark my appreciation for the music I love today. I was 4 years old when this happened. I don't remember hearing about it until ten years later. I recently saw a documentary about it and was stricken with both grief and awe. These kids left a great legacy. Many careers began when their's ended.

Don McLean immortalized the event in his song, American Pie.... "I can't remember if I cried when I read about his widowed bride, but something touched me deep inside the day the music died."

No comments:

Post a Comment