Monday, January 19, 2009

got MLK?

How fitting it is that Barack Obama is being sworn in the same week as the reverend Dr. Martin Luther King's birthday celebration. Obama's inauguration is the culmination of the slain civil rights leader's vision.
I was told as a child that a "colored" person would never be president. I have never been so pleased to discover that the people I looked up to were wrong. These historic events show how far we have come as a nation. I am truly proud to be an American! "Ain't you come a long way down this old road"

4 comments:

  1. I'll second that! I am looking forward to watching the swearing in ceremony.

    ReplyDelete
  2. AMEN!!! I've scrapped all my lesson plans for tomorrow in favor of Inauguration coverage from 10:00 'til ???

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is exciting to see this HISTORY making moment. I look forward to his enthusiasm becoming a reality.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, this is the most excited I have ever been about an inauguration.

    Yesterday, at work I had this conversation:

    Desk Neighbor: Hey Jen, did you see the news this weekend...the inauguration?

    Jen: Yes, why?

    Desk Neighbor: DIS-gusting.

    Jen: Why?

    Desk Neighbor: Every person on the TV was BLACK!

    Jen: That doesn't bother me at all.

    Desk Neighbor: It doesn't bother me either.

    ReplyDelete