Friday, May 8, 2009

Signs of spring and Mama

My mother would have been 91 today. She died just over 2 years ago. She was always thrilled, even giddy, about springtime. I am remembering her as I admire the beautiful activity in my yard. Everything is turning green. The apple and pear trees are in full bloom. The bluebird I mentioned in an earlier post has found his mate. Yesterday I peeked into their house and they have 2 babies! The oriole is not around today but I saw him both Wednesday and Thursday. We also have several mockingbirds, which I had never seen before this year. The hummingbirds are back, too. Mom got so excited over this stuff. She loved the lilacs, forget-me-nots, violets, even the dandelions. Lindsey and I were bird watching this morning and it felt like we weren't alone. Miss you, Mama, Happy birthday!

2 comments:

  1. Forget me nots and violets grow wild in my backyard;
    she put them in a water glass, that wasn't very hard.
    The thrill those flowers gave her was a joy for me to see.
    I'm so glad she shared those feelings with you as well as me.
    I think of her so often and her presence I can feel; sometimes her presence is so strong I'm sure it must be real.
    This year I was so anxious to see the flowers in my yard;
    I put some in a water glass; that wasn't very hard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sure helps to remember her with smiles and jest; honoring her by enjoying the things she loved best.
    I thought of her early when I wrote the date; another special birthday on day number eight.

    ReplyDelete