Friday, April 17, 2009

Camera shy

I got pretty close to a bluebird in our yard yesterday. We have 2 bird boxes on the north lawn and a beautiful male has built a nest in one of them and sits on top waiting for his mate. I walked to within 10 feet of him and he didn't move so I thought I'd get the camera and share this gorgeous sight with you. Nothin' doin', the little fellow is obviously camera shy. He would not stay put for a picture. He is back today, patiently waiting for the female to arrive.
A tree swallow has claimed the other box and is very bold. He does not flee from anything, and will chase any bird or other animal (including humans) that comes near.

2 comments:

  1. ...we call the tree swallow Sylvio. He has a hunched look that reminds me of Sylvio Dante from The Sopranos.

    I never saw a bluebird before we moved here. Now we see them regularly. What a treat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. once in a while we have bluebirds land on our deck rails because the neighbors have bluebird houses. I try to grab the camera but have never been quick enough either.

    ReplyDelete